Tuesday, April 14, 2009

2004, June - the bio-identical supplementation from a pharmacy

I heard from a client that she had discovered that she was having a weight issue; she couldn't lose any no matter that she spent two hours a day at the gym.... She said she found a local pharmacy that tested her hormone levels and mixed up (a compounding pharmacy) the bio-identical hormones that she needed to get balanced. Since beginning the regime she was losing weight and felt great.

I was very excited to hear this and I contacted the pharmacy and got started on my journey. The pharmacy also had a lab they worked with and a Doctor that writes the prescriptions based on the lab results. You never see the Doctor, just his name appears on the compounding pharmacy prescriptions. I found out that you deal with the Pharmacists if you have a question or concern. Well, that was the beginning of the disaster for me.

On one day you might call the Pharmacy and you would get a female Pharmacist and any other day it might be the male Pharmacist. Or vice versa. Either way, they both had very different ideas about how to tweak your regime. It was a night mare. One might suggest you take more Progesterone and the other might totally disagree and insist you should increase Estrogen. And they would argue between themselves while you were hanging on the phone.

In addition to that they prescribed a substance called Isocort. I felt great at first and it really gave me a boost in energy but it really packed on the pounds around my waist. And I have never gotten rid of them. So be careful!

Isocort is designed to increase cortisol levels but with that comes the fat. As with the Pharmacy's other blunders they must have had me on too much of the Isocort.

Needless to say I was dissapointed with my results and quit the Pharamacy and went in search for someone a little more stable and experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment